Travel Journal Prompts to Inspire You! || The Travel Tester
When writing a travel story, following some travel journal prompts can be helpful to get the creative juices flowing. Here is a list with journal prompt ideas I compiled to get you started.
There are also quite a few journals you can buy that already have travel writing prompts in them. You can see all journals with prompts further down in this article.
OUR FAVOURITE TRAVEL JOURNALS WITH PROMPTS
Full list at the bottom of this post!
TRAVEL JOURNAL WRITING PROMPTS
LIST OF TRAVEL JOURNAL PROMPTS
BUCKET LIST JOURNAL PROMPTS
- What are the Top 100 destinations you would like to visit?
- What are the destinations you would like to visit in your own country?
- What are the destinations you would like to visit in your own town/city?
- What is your ulimate travel dream?
- What are some destinations you would once like to return to?
TRAVEL WITHOUT LEAVING HOME?
You don’t always need to be physically on the road to enjoy the beauty of destinations from all around the world!
From vintage travel posters to beautifully displayed souvenirs and home decor items inspired by your favourite places and from travel journals and crafts to exploring world recipes, music and dance.
With our creative articles you’ll get some fresh ideas on how to bring the world closer to the comforts of your own home.
TRAVEL EXPERIENCE WRITING PROMPTS
- Which amazing world dishes did you try across the globe?
- Create a “6 word story”: write down a single travel experience in just 6 words
- (When visiting a country) What is similar and what different to home?
- What is a memorable conversation you had with a local?
- What is a memorable conversation you had with another traveller?
- Did anything go wrong on your trip? What did you learn from that?
- What were things you were grateful for on your trip?
- What is a phrase you learned in a foreign language?
- What were local people wearing in the place you visited? Draw it!
- What was the strangest transportation device on your trip?
- What was unique about the accommodation you stayed?
INSPIRATIONAL JOURNAL PROMPTS
- What calls you to adventure?
- What memorable insights did you have on your trip?
- What are your favourite travel quotes?
- What makes you happy on the road?
- What did you most miss from home?
- If your trip would be turned into a book or movie, what would the title be?
HOLIDAY JOURNAL PROMPTS
- What is your favourite travel playlist / song?
- What was the most useful item you’ve packed? why?
- What was the most useless item you’ve packed? why?
- Which books did you read on your holiday?
- What souvenir(s) did you bring home from the trip?
- What is a dish from your trip that you will try to recreate at home?
HIKING JOURNAL PROMPTS
- Which colours stood out to you during your hike?
- What elements of landscape did you encounter (hill, rocks, waterfall, etc.)
- (if you stayed overnight) Which constellations did you spot? Can you draw them?
- Which flowers did you see? Can you draw them or can you add a pressed flower? (of course only if it’s allowed to pick flowers in the area you hiked, and there were plenty of them)
- What smells did you come across on your hike?
- Did you recognize any trees, plants or wild herbs on your hike?
- What noises did you hear on your hike?
- What did the clouds look like on your hike? Can you draw it?
- Could you recognize any bird sounds on your hike?
- Did you find any animal tracks on your hike?
- What did walking in silence do to you?
- Did you come up with any interesting thoughts or ideas during your hike?
- What were you most grateful for on your hike?
- Did you have any mental or physical challenges on your hike?
- If you had to describe your hike to someone who’s never been out in nature, what would you write?
- How did being outdoors make you feel?
TRAVEL JOURNAL PROMPTS FOR KIDS
- Where have you been?
- Who did you travel with?
- What were your top 3 activities? Why?
- What was your least favourite activity? Why?
- What is one weird thing you ate?
- What is one weird thing you smelled?
- What is one weird thing you saw?
- What is one weird thing you touched?
- What is one weird thing you heard?
- What kind of transportation did you ride?
- Did you make any friends? Who?
- Which stuffed animal did you bring?
- Which books did you read?
- Did you bring a souvenir home? What is it?
- Which animals did you see?
- Did you try any new food? What was it and did you like it?
- What was the funniest thing that happened on the trip?
- What is one thing you learned on your trip?
- Can you name 3 facts of the place you visited?
- Design a sticker/postcard/t-shirt of the place you visited
- Did you see any art on your trip? Can you describe/draw it?
- Would you like to visit this place again or not? Why?
- Where would you like to travel next?
TOP TRAVEL JOURNALS FOR KIDS
Full list at the bottom of this post!
WHICH BOOK TO READ?
The Travel Tester loves to review books that teach you something about yourself or the world around us.
From travel guides and stories to books about business and self-development and from cultural stories to cook books from kitchens around the world… if it looks interesting to us, we’ll test it!
No matter where you’re going, with our reviews you’ll know exactly what to read next!
TRAVEL JOURNAL WITH PROMPTS
THE ADVENTURE BOOK TRAVEL JOURNAL
I believe that the best travel journal with prompts is The Adventure Book by fellow Dutchie Nicole Nagelgast. These stunning and high-quality journals have a spot for every independent country in the world for you to fill, plus a bunch of cool prompts for you to do, collect, or experience while traveling.
You can get the Adventure Book in the 288-page, 8×9.5″ (20.5×24,5cm) Ultimate Traveler’s Edition, the 220-page, 4.9×7.8″ (19.7×12.5cm) Original Edition and the 200-page, 4.9×7.8″ (19.7×12.5cm) Europe Edition.
CLEVER FOX TRAVEL JOURNALS
I’m also a big fan of the journals from Clever Fox. They come with prompts, stickers, checklists, a pocket, pen loop, ribbon bookmarks and elastic closure. You can choose between a 100+ page Travel Journal, Bucket List Journal and Camping Journal. They measure 5.8×8.3″ (14.7x21cm).
OAKDENE PERSONALISED TRAVEL JOURNALS
Oakdene Designs has a whole bunch of travel journals with prompts that you can also personalize. Check out their 80-page (40 double-sided printed) Travel Journal, Motorhome Journal, Caravan Journal, Hiking Journal, Road Bike Journal, Camping Journal and this special Wooden Adventure Journal. They measure 5.9×8.3″ (15x21cm)
MOLESKINE TRAVEL JOURNAL
Beside the general travel journal by Moleskine, they also have a 400-page traveller’s journal in collaboration with National Geographic! This hardcover, high-quality travel diary comes in a decorative box and includes a 12 month subscription to National Geographic, 2 ribbon bookmarks, themed stickers and tabbed sections to guide your note taking. There is space for travel planning and inspiration plus pages that can be transformed into a scrapbook of your trips. It measures 5×8.25″ (12.7x21cm).
DUNCAN & STONE TRAVEL JOURNAL
I love the aesthetic of the 100-page Duncan & Stone Travel Journal! You can personalize this travel organizer by writing down your bucket list & special memories from 15 trips. Fill out basic details, favorite memories, & photos from each trip to remember the specifics that made the trip unforgettable. The journal is linen-bound hardcover with an embossed title. It measures 7.75×9.25″ (19.7×23.5cm).
EVERYWHERE YOU GO TRAVEL JOURNAL
Compendium has the 112-page Everywhere You Go: Guided Travel Journal. This guided journal holds unexpected prompts to help inspire thoughtful reflections from any travel adventure. It includes breakout spreads with uplifting quotes to help frame your thoughts and experiences, along with space for packing lists, notes, addresses, and things you want to remember. Features foil stamping on a softcover and a ribbon marker. Printed with soy and metallic inks. It measures 5.75×8.5″ (14.6×21.6cm).
PROMPTLY TRAVEL JOURNAL
The 88-page Promptly journal is filled with custom prompts and also has plenty of space for your own additions. This minimalist notebook comes has a linen hardcover with gold embossing and comes in deep blue, powdered blue and solid grey. Some of the sections included in the journal are: a brief itinerary, memorable moments, highlights, transportation, accommodations, food, mishaps, travel companions, and a place to paste in mementos & photos. It measures 5.5×8.25″ (14x21cm).
AXEL & ASH TRAVEL JOURNALS
The beautifully designed “Life’s a Road Trip” and “Swept Away by Wanderlust” journals by Axel & Ash both feature quirky questions, fun writing prompts, ‘to-do’ notes, list pages to remember the favourites and a bucket list to fill out along the way. They measure 7.1×8.1″ (18×20.5cm).
ONELINEVOYAGE TRAVEL JOURNAL
The 72-page faux leather travel journal from OneLineVoyage on Etsy features customizable content on recycled paper, document storing space and an elastic diary band strap. This diary has pre-printed prompts that make it extra fun to fill out. It measures 6.5×8.6″ inches) (17x22cm)
LUCKIES TRAVEL JOURNAL
The 64-page Travelogue by Luckies of London is a travel journal with notepad pages, as well as 8 miniature scratch maps, each representing different regions of the world. Simply scratch off where you’ve been! This journal also includes a check list and travel tips. It measures 6.7×8.8″ (17×22.4cm)
LETTERFOLK TRAVEL JOURNAL
In the 48-page Trip Passport by Letterfolk, you can easily collect your travel experiences. This small, pocket-sized journal includes 20 entry pages to record details from each trip taken, as well as 8 bonus pages that include checklists, bucket lists, and other fun activities and information. Each entry page is accompanied by a blank page for notes, memories, or affixing mementos like photos or receipts and there is space to record the date, location, who you went with, first impressions, sights, wildlife and more!
It measures 3.5×5.5″ (8.9x14cm) – roughly the size of a travel passport.
OUR FAVOURITE TRAVEL JOURNALS
OUR FAVOURITE TRAVEL NOTEBOOK COVERS
TRAVEL JOURNALS FOR KIDS
GET YOUR SUPPLIES
Compile your own travel journal kit with these items:
DISCOVER UNIQUE TRAVEL GEAR & GIFTS
In The Travel Tester shop you will find our favourite travel products and original gift ideas.
Whether you’re looking for the best travel gear, gadgets, electronics, packing solutions, clothing, shoes, travel books, health- or beauty products… we’ve made a personal selection for you!
We’ve also included our favourite tech items used to create this blog, as well as material that can help you in your self-development, such as interesting books and courses.